In addition to his reputation as a leading junior in real estate litigation in England and Wales, Toby has a breadth of experience in wider commercial litigation and professional negligence litigation, both nationally and internationally.
Much of Toby’s practice has had an international element over his career, including representing international clients within the courts of England and Wales, acting in the forum of international arbitration, and appearing in non-UK appeals to the Privy Council. In such forums Toby has represented clients based all over the world, including (in recent years) the USA, Gibraltar, Hong Kong, Switzerland, Spain and Brunei.
Toby has particular expertise in Arbitration, Expert Determination and other forms of Alternative Dispute Resolution. He has been a member of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (MCIArb) for a decade and was invited to give a lecture to the Hong Kong Institute of Surveyors in 2015 on arbitration in Hong Kong. He is regularly appointed within expert determinations either as expert or as legal assessor. He is a qualified ADR Group mediator and is regularly involved in mediations, acting either for one party or as the mediator. Toby is a member of the Hong Kong Institute of Arbitrators.
Toby is ranked as a Leading Junior in the UK in Real Estate Litigation in both Chambers & Partners and the Legal 500, in which he has recently been described as doing "an excellent job of getting to grips with complex and heated property disputes", and "fiercely intelligent, commercial, great with clients and a pleasure to work with".
Examples of Toby’s international practice include:
- Appearing in a leading recent case relating to the recovery of property transferred to Guernsey in order to avoid the claims of creditors for fraudulent misrepresentation (4 ENG v Harper  BCC 746).
- Appearing in a number of cases before the courts of England and Wales in which issues relating to alternative dispute resolution have arisen, including appeals from arbitration awards and disputes relating to expert determinations. In Flight Training International v International Fire Training Equipment Ltd (2004) Toby successfully represented a multi-national company in High Court litigation about the proper construction of a dispute resolution clause.
- Representing the Government of Gibraltar before the Privy Council in relation to a commercial judicial review of the refusal to grant a trading licence.
- Appearing in a leading case of international significance in relation to the professional negligence of LPA Receivers (Medforth v Blake & Ors  CH 86) overturning the Privy Council decision in Downsview Nominees v First City Corporation Ltd.
His professional qualifications and appointments (past and present) include:
- MA (Cantab), St John’s College, Cambridge University (Law)
- Called to the Bar (Inner Temple 1996)
- Member of Lincoln’s Inn 2010
- Member of the Chancery Bar Association
- Member of the Property Bar Association (formerly Secretary 2012-2014 and Treasurer 2008-2010)
- Chairman of the Investigations Committee, The Academy of Experts.