James has represented corporate clients and States in both investment treaty and commercial arbitrations and in related litigation in various Commonwealth jurisdictions. He has experience of arbitrations conducted under the major arbitration rules (including the ICC, LCIA, ICSID, UNCITRAL rules) particularly in the energy, telecoms, infrastructure and construction sectors. He also has experience proceedings related to arbitration-related disputes before English and other Commonwealth courts, including anti-suit injunctions and enforcement of arbitral awards.
Major casework and published cases in which he has been involved include:
- Karkey v Islamic Republic of Pakistan Karkey Karadeniz Uretim SA v Islamic Republic of Pakistan (ICSID Case No. ARB/13/1) – US$1bn claim against Pakistan by Turkish energy company arising out of the Pakistan Government's temporary power procurement programme in 2011/2012.
- British Caribbean Bank Limited v Government of Belize (PCA Case No. 2010-18) – investment treaty claim and related domestic constitutional and judicial review litigation arising out of the Belize Government’s utilities nationalisation programme between 2009 and 2011
- Dunkeld International Investment Ltd v Government of Belize (PCA Case No. 2010 -13) – an arbitration commenced under the UK-Belize BIT relating to the nationalisation of Telemedia, a telecommunication company
- Zuniga et al v Attorney General of Belize  2 CCJ – challenge to constitutionality of anti-arbitration legislation
Seminars and publications
- “Investor Protections and the Investment Map of Iraq”, the Iraq Trade and Investment Conference 2017
- “Real Estate and Investment Treaty Arbitration”, Landmark International Seminar, Hong Kong (2016)
- “Meaning of Investment”: African Investment Lawyers Association 2015
- “Cross-examination in international arbitration”: Sciences Politiques, Paris, 2014